Terms & Privacy
Last Modified: October 14, 2022
Our Commitment To Privacy
We do not collect any special categories of personal information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
The Personal Data We Process And How We Collect It
We collect personal data about you:
- on or through www.bfly.com;
- when you opt to receive communications from Butterfly;
- about representatives of our vendors, business partners, advisors or portfolio companies;
- when you decide to interact with us (e.g., via the “Contact” section of the website, when you communicate with us over email or the telephone, when you apply for a job with us, etc.) including your name, company, and email address;
- through automated technology when you access and use our website, such as cookies and similar technology - please see the “Cookies” section below for information about how we use such technologies; and/or
We collect certain types of personal data about you depending on the nature of your
interaction with us. Such data may include identity data, contact data, technical data, profile data (e.g. username and password). Please see below for a more extensive list of the types of personal data we may collect:
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).|
Name, signature, Social Security number, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.|
We will not collect additional categories of personal data or use the personal data we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without notice and we only collect the personal data necessary to carry out our business for the purposes set out in the section below headed “Why we use your personal data”.
Information provided by third parties or publicly available sources
If you represent one of our vendors, business partners or portfolio companies, we may also collect your personal data (i.e., basic identifying and contact information, including your name, title, work email address, work postal address, job title and/or work telephone number, as appropriate) from the entity that you work for where this is necessary to receive products or services from, or otherwise conduct business with, such third party.
We process information in relation to companies that we are evaluating in connection with a corporate transaction or potential investment. In this situation, your personal data will be provided to us by third parties involved in that potential transaction (including the target of any investment). This information may include your personal data relating to your name, title, email address, postal address, job title, telephone number, as appropriate.
Why We Use Your Personal Data
To the extent that you provide us with any personal data, or we otherwise collect your personal data (i.e., through or in connection with this website, our current and future portfolio companies and other data collection points) we may use your personal data for the following purposes (which shall be considered “business purposes” for purposes of the CCPA):
|To conduct business with you or to provide you with the services you have requested||Contractual necessity; and/or our legitimate interest in operating our business and providing investment services|
|To support and communicate with you||Our legitimate interest in operating our business and providing investment services|
|To keep a record of your relationship with us||Our legitimate interest in operating our business and providing investment services; and/or legal requirement|
|To protect against, identify and prevent, fraud, money-laundering, cyber attacks, theft of our property and other unlawful activity||Legal requirement; and/or our legitimate interest in operating our business and providing investment services securely|
|To conduct conflicts checks||Legal requirement|
|To conduct due diligence activities in connection with an actual or prospective corporate transaction or investment which are evaluated by Butterfly or which we are party to||Our legitimate interest in operating our business and providing our investment services; contractual necessity; and/or legal requirement|
|Corporate transaction and investment reporting||Legitimate interest and/or legal requirement|
|Litigation management and conducting internal audits and investigations||Legal requirement; and/or our legitimate interest in operating our business|
|To obtain advice from our professional advisors, including lawyers and accountants||Our legitimate interest in operating our business|
|To administer, support, develop, and protect our business and this website||Our legitimate interest in operating our business|
|For statistical analysis and market research||Our legitimate interest in operating our business|
|To comply with applicable laws, rules, and regulations, including responding to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations||Our legitimate interest in legally operating our business|
|For any other purpose that has been notified, or has been agreed, in writing||Consent|
Note that we may process your personal data on more than one legal basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your personal data.
We will only send you marketing newsletters, updates, alerts and similar marketing or promotional communications (i.e., email, physical mail, investor portal or telephone) where you have requested information from us relating to our business or services which you might be interested in, including by populating the form in the “Contact” section of the website. You may request that we stop sending you marketing communications by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
Disclosure and Transfer of Personal Information
Unfortunately, the transmission of information and data via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of any information or data transmitted to or through our website; any transmission of information or data by you to or through this website is at your sole risk.
Your personal data will be shared with and processed by our affiliates and certain service providers as necessary to fulfil the purposes set out in this policy. We use a number of service providers that provide a wide range of services including legal professional advisors, tax advisors, our auditors, compliance consultants, and fund administrators. We make sure anyone who provides a service to, or for us, enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security. To the extent your personal data is transferred to countries outside of the UK or the European Economic Area, such transfers will only be made in accordance with the EU and UK Privacy Laws. For further information about the safeguards used, please contact email@example.com.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal data as required by law, or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, request from a regulator, national security, for the purposes of public importance or any other legal or investigatory process involving us. Should we, or any of our affiliated entities, be the subject of a takeover, divestment or acquisition we may disclose your personal data to the new owner of the relevant business and their advisors.
Security and Retention of Personal Data
We are committed to protecting the personal data you entrust to us. We adopt robust and appropriate data security technologies, measures and policies, so the information we have about you is protected to the extent possible from unauthorized access and disclosure, improper use and accidental loss. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know and who need to know that personal data. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality and required to keep your personal data secure.
This website is only intended for individuals who are at least 18 years of age. We do not knowingly encourage or solicit visitors to this website who are under the age of 18 or knowingly collect personal data from anyone under the age of 18 without parental consent. If we learn we have collected or received personal data from an individual under the age of 18, we will delete that information.
Some internet browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” features. Most of these features, when turned on, send a signal or preference (the “DNT Signal”) to web sites you visit indicating that you do not wish to be track. At this time, we do not currently respond to DNT Signals.
On the website we use the cookies listed here: https://www.bfly.com/cookies/
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser. For more information about how to do this, look at your browser 'help' section or visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu. You can also opt out of using Google Analytics cookies here http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Please note that if you adjust your internet browser settings to refuse the setting of cookies, you may not be able to access or use fully certain parts or functionality of the website.
You have the right to access the personal data we hold about you, and there are a number of ways you can control the way in which and what personal data we store and process about you. To exercise these rights and controls, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-421-4780.
- Access: You have the right to ask for a copy of the personal data that we hold and process about you free of charge, however we may charge a ‘reasonable fee’, if we think that your request is excessive, to help us cover the costs of locating the information you have requested.
- Correction: You have a right to request that we correct your personal data if the information we hold and process about you is inaccurate or it needs to be updated.
- Deletion: If you think that we should not be holding or processing your personal data any more, you may request that we delete it. Please note that this may not always be possible due to legal obligations.
- Restrictions on use: You may request that we stop processing your personal data (other than storing it), if: (i) you contest the accuracy of it (until the accuracy is verified); (ii) you believe the processing is against the law; (iii) you believe that we no longer need your personal data for the purposes for which it was collected, but you still need your personal data to establish or defend a legal claim; or (iv) you object to the processing, and we are verifying whether our legitimate grounds to process your personal data, override your own rights.
- Object: You have the right to object to processing, including: (i) for direct marketing; (ii) for research or statistical purposes; or (iii) where processing is based on legitimate interests.
- Portability: If you wish to transfer the personal data that we hold and process about you on the legal ground of contractual necessity to another organisation (and certain conditions are satisfied), you may ask us to do so, and we will send it directly if we have the technical means.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Notice to California Consumers of Certain Rights Under the CCPA
We do not sell or share (as such terms are defined in the CCPA) any of the personal data we collect about you with third parties. We have not in the last 12 months, sold or shared any personal data collected with third parties.
We do not collect or use sensitive personal information other than to perform the services, or provide any goods, as would reasonably be expected by an average consumer who requests those goods or services.
- Deletion Rights: You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal data that we retain, subject to certain statutory exceptions, including, but not limited to, our compliance with U.S., state, local and non-U.S. laws, rules and regulations. We will notify you in writing and provide an explanation if we cannot comply with a specific request.
- Disclosure and Access Rights: You have the right to request that we disclose to you certain information regarding our collection and use of personal data specific to you over the last twelve (12) months. Such information includes:
- the categories of personal data we collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which the personal data was collected;
- our business or commercial purpose for collecting the personal data;
- the categories of third parties with whom we share the personal data;
- the specific pieces of personal data we collected about you; and
- whether we disclosed your personal data to a third party, and, if so, the categories of personal data that each recipient obtained.
- Limitation on Use of Sensitive Personal Information: You have the right to request that we limit our use and disclosure of, and refrain from selling or sharing, your sensitive personal information, subject to certain exceptions, and we will refrain from doing so upon receipt of a valid and verifiable request from you requesting the same.
- No Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA, including by denying service, suggesting that you will receive, or charging, different rates for services or suggesting that you will receive, or providing, a different level or quality of service to you.
Notification of Changes
Should you wish to lodge a complaint with regards to how your personal data has been processed by us under:
- the UK GDPR and/or Data Protection Act 2018, please contact the UK Information Commissioner’s Office – https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us; or
- the EU GDPR, please contact your local supervisory authority in particular in the EU Member State of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of the infringement, concern or complaint.